Natural Wetlands in Urban Landscapes Workshops were developed with the intent to recognize the parameters that must be considered when incorporating wetlands into urban landscapes.
There are many factors that developers and municipal staff must consider when retaining or introducing wetlands within a development plan or undertaking re-vegetation or reclamation projects using native grass species.
The Natural Wetlands in Urban Landscapes Workshops were crafted to address the following topics:
- The opportunity, and the considerations, for incorporating natural wetlands into urban landscapes;
- An overview on the types of wetlands in Saskatchewan, with a discussion on the importance of climate, topography, and surrounding land-use in wetland development and long-term function;
- Wetland hydrology and the role of hydro-period in determining productivity/function and wetland type;
- Wetland mitigation: the science behind mitigation ratios;
- Naturalized vs. traditional stormwater approaches; and
- The incorporation of Minimal Ecological Management/Best Management Practices into project plans.